BOSTON – A day after former New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez was charged with first-degree murder in the slaying of a 27-year-old Dorchester man, police are investigating Hernandez’s possible involvement in a double homicide from 2012.
FOX 25 in Boston reported Thursday morning that investigators are looking into Hernandez as a possible suspect in a double murder that happened on July 16, 2012 in downtown Boston.
Jim Davis/Boston Globe via Getty Images
Aaron Hernandez, pictured during a game in October 2012, is released by the Patriots Wednesday.
The report noted that police officers responded to the intersection of Shawmut Avenue and Herald Street just after 2 a.m., according to a police log from that date. When they arrived, they found three people had been shot, two fatally, as they sat in a car at a traffic light.
On Wednesday morning, Hernandez was arrested at his home in North Attleboro, 40 miles south of Boston and arraigned in Attleboro District Court in the afternoon. He faces a charge of murdering Odin Lloyd, an acquaintance of Hernandez, as well as five firearms charges. Hernandez stood stoically during his hearing. He was wearing handcuffs and remained emotionless as assistant district attorney Bill McCauley detailed how the prosecution believes the murder was carried out.
Mark Stockwell/The Sun Chronicle via AP
Michael Fee, defense attorney for former New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez, speaks to the media outside Attleboro District Court after Hernandez was arraigned on Wednesday.
“(Hernandez) orchestrated the execution,” McCauley said.
Hernandez was released by the Patriots shortly after the arrest.
Photo of a 19-year-old Aaron Hernandez brandishing a Glock handgun for a self-taken iPhone picture. It was taken in Gainesville, Florida in 2009, the same time Hernandez was playing football for the University of Florida.
Meanwhile, Connecticut officials confirm Thursday the arrest of Carlos A. Ortiz of Bristol is connected to the Hernandez investigation, according to the Hartford Courant.
New Britain state attorney Brian Preleski released a statement Thursday confirming that Massachusetts authorities had asked his office and Bristol police to help with their investigation of Lloyd’s death.
As a result, Ortiz was charged with being a fugitive from justice Wednesday according to the Courant and later appeared in Superior Court in Bristol, Preleski said.
All documents related to Ortiz’s arrest and incarceration have been sealed, the newspaper reported.
“Both the Bristol Police Department and the New Britain State’s Attorney’s Office will continue to provide whatever assistance we can in connection with this investigation. As the investigation is ongoing, we can have no further comment at this time,” Preleski said.